Southwest Wilderness Experience - Propagating the Awareness and Sensation of Life through the Experience of Wilderness
Southwest Wilderness Experience, llc, is a premier provider of eco-conscious, wilderness hiking excursions and education in one of this country's most unspoiled and secluded mountain meccas, the South San Juan Wilderness Area of southwestern Colorado.
Come and join us for a fully guided and catered hiking tour or educational experience into this spectacular area, which is characterized by rugged mountain vistas, clear running streams, cascading waterfalls, high alpine lakes, lush green meadows carpeted with wildflowers, surreal forests of pine, spruce, fir and quaking aspen, and an abundant array of fish and wildlife. Best of all, you can enjoy all of this beauty without the burden of a load, thanks to our gentle, sure-footed porters, the llamas.
Areas of Service and Expertise
- Hiking excursions and Wilderness Education in the remote South San Juan Wilderness Area of southwestern Colorado.
- Day and overnight trips, customizeable to meet the needs of your group.
- Meals and snacks of natural and organic foods served on all trips.
- Guides are all certified in CPR/Lifesaving and back country rescue techniques.
Llamas have been used to pack supplies throughout the mountainous regions of this continent for thousands of years. Gentle, sure-footed and accustomed to walking with a loose lead, they can be led by adults and children alike.
At Southwest Wilderness Outfitters, LLC, we observe the Leave No Trace principles for backcountry usage, and in doing so, have found that the soft-toed llama is the ideal pack animal to support these ethics, whether spending a day on the trail, or several nights in the backcountry.
Pet Friendly Notes
Dogs are welcome as long as they are under voice control or secured by a leash.
Types of Experiences and Trips Provided
The South San Juan Wilderness Area is characterized by rugged Continental Divide vistas, clear running streams and high alpine lakes, cascading waterfalls, abundant fish and wildlife, colorful mountain meadows and towering stands of aspen and evergreen.
We offer several different trips to accommodate various interests and fitness levels. These include the:
- Blanco River Walk - A day trip to the headwaters of the Rio Blanco. We travel through thick stands of aspen and evergreens, along the banks of the pristine Rio Blanco. A full lunch is served, after which you can relax, toss in a fishing line, or wade in the cool, refreshing waters. Rating: Easy
- Quartz Lake Escape - A day or overnight trip to this serene and seclude subalpine lake characterized by waterfalls, jumping fish, deer and elk and colorful alpine meadows dropping off into majestic river canyons. Rating: Moderate
- Wilderness Lake Tour - An overnight trip where we travel 8 to 12 miles and gain 4000 feet in elevation. Breathtaking views as we travel along the Continental Divide to visit a variety of alpine and subalpine lakes, where guests can fish, do day hikes, or just plain escape! Rating: Strenuous