Hawikku or Hawikuh
ADA Accessibility Notes
Rough open terrain with limited to no accessibility.This ancestral village of Zuni Pueblo was founded in the 1200s and was the largest of the Zuñi pueblos and the first to be seen by Spanish explorers. Originally thought to be one of the fabled gold Cities of Cíbola, Hawikuh was conquered by Coronado in 1540 and served as his headquarters for several months. Hawikuh was referred to as the "Capital of the Zuñis." A mission, La Purisima Concepcíón, was established at the pueblo but was destroyed during the Great Pueblo Revolt of 1680 when the New Mexico pueblos rose against the Spanish. Hawikuh was permanently abandoned after the revolt. In its prime Hawikuh had up to 150 rooms surrounding a central plaza and stood four stories high with multiple numbers of kivas and a population between 500 to 700. Remaining are extensive ruins atop a long low ridge and the adobe mounds of the mission church.
Pet Friendly Notes
Check with Zuni Tourism staff.
Time Period Represented
1200 A.D. to 1680 A.D.
Only by tour scheduled through the Zuni Visitor Center.
Year-round depending on weather.
$75 for a custom tour of up to four people with advance notice. $50 for Wednesdays at 1:00 P.M. for two people and $15 for each additional person.