Elden Pueblo, Coconino National Forest Service, Flagstaff AZ
ADA Accessibility Notes
Gravel trails are ADA accessible.
From about 1100-1275 AD, (over 800 years ago) people called the Sinagua, made this site in the tall pines of Northern Arizona their home. Today the Hopi refer to Elden Pueblo as their Pavasioki, or special place from which their ancestors migrated. This prehistoric pueblo site was first studied by Jesse Walter Fewkes in 1926, and has been extensively studied by the US Forest Service archaeologists for over 30 years. It contains the remnants of pit houses, pueblo structures with over 40 rooms, mounds, a large community room, and other features. Excavation is now considered complete, and many of the the walls are stabilized. Interpretive signage allows the visitor an insight into life in the pre-Columbian northern forests of Arizona. Located on Highway 89 on the east edge of Flagstaff. Free admission. Archaeologists may be at work on weekends, and archaeology field schools jointly operated by the US Forest Service and the Arizona Archaeological Society may be in session during the season. Nominated by and recommended by the Arizona Archaeological Society.
Pet Friendly Notes
Pets must be on leash.
Time Period Represented
Daylight to dark