GO BACK IN TIME VISIT THE CHIMAYO MUSEUM
The museum is located on the Plaza del Cerró, center of a Spanish Colonial settlement established in 1740. Plaza del Cerró is enclosed by contiguous adobe buildings. Its two entrances are only wide enough to admit people on foot and animals, making it easy to defend. It is one of the last fortified plazas in New Mexico.
The museum building is a classic adobe with viga ceilings and dirt floors--the traditional style that is the foundation of contemporary Southwestern architecture. It was originally home to Jose Ramon Ortega and Petra Mestas Ortega, ancestors of the world-renowned Ortega family of Rio Grandé weavers. The couple raised fourteen children in the building that is now home to exhibits honoring Chimayó's past and present.
The museum is dedicated to educating the public, particularly young New Mexicans, about the history and culture of Chimayó and its surrounding communities, and to supporting the work of established and emerging local artists.
Photographs on display date back to the late 1800s and early 1900s and present images of the everyday lives, work, and faith of the people of Chimayó. Also on display are artifacts that are from the period when the first settlers came to this beautiful community of Chimayo.
The museum provides a venue for the display of contemporary work, including the Española Valley Student Art Show and Los Maestros del Norte. It sponsors community celebrations focusing on local art, crafts, and music. This year the Chimayo Cultural Preservation will host the first Chile Festival. Every month we offer guest speakers or writers that share their historical stories.
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Beginning of April through the end of October