The community of Truchas was established from a Spanish land grant in 1754. Nuestra Senora del Sagrado Rosario (Our Lady of the Rosary) was built in around 1805. The church is built of adobe brick and is an excellent example of the Spanish colonial style of the late 18th and early 19th centuries. It features some of the oldest santero artwork in New Mexico. In particular, it features the artwork of the santero known as the "Truchas Master". This santero is so named because two of the three known retablos (altar screens) created by him are found in this church.
Latitude: 36.0431654 Longitude: -105.8099806 Elevation: 8071 ft
Hours OpenVaries. Contact (505) 351-9961
Time Period RepresentedEarly 1800's
Seasons OpenVaries. Contact (505) 351-9961
ADA Accessibility Notes
Accessibility may be difficult for some. Please contact (505) 351-9961 for specific questions.