The Hacienda de los Martinez is one of the few northern New Mexico style, late Spanish Colonial period, "Great Houses" remaining in the American Southwest. Built in 1804 by Severino Martin (later changed to Martinez), this fortress-like building with massive adobe walls became an important trade center for the northern boundary of the Spanish Empire. The Hacienda was the final terminus for the Camino Real which connected northern New Mexico to Mexico City. The Hacienda also was the headquarters for an extensive ranching and farming operation. With their extensive sheep herd they were able to make many woolen articles which they then traded with Chihuahua for items that were needed in the Taos Valley, including raw iron, chocolate and Majorcan pottery. They would then sell or trade these items. Severino Martinez was the Mayor of Taos under both the Spanish and the Mexican Governments.
About this Establishment
Today the Hacienda's twenty-one rooms surrounding two courtyards provide the visitor with a rare glimpse of the rugged frontier life and times of the early 1800s. The Hacienda is owned and operated by the Taos Historic Museums, which also owns the Ernest L. Blumenschein Home.