Built in 1928 as the dining hall for the Los Alamos Ranch School, Fuller Lodge is the heart and soul of the Los Alamos Historic District. The three-story, upright log building was designed by Santa Fe architect John Gaw Meem, who used 771 pine logs, along with aspen, for its construction. The Lodge is named for Edward Fuller, a Ranch School master whose father financed the magnificent building's construction. During the Manhattan Project, the Lodge was used as a cafeteria and as rooms for visiting scientists. At times, as many as six Nobel Prize winners might be seen under its roof, discussing the most difficult physics problems of the day. After the war, wings were added, and the Lodge served as a hotel for the town of Los Alamos until the 1960s. Now owned by Los Alamos County, Fuller Lodge serves as a community center and houses the offices of the Los Alamos Historical Society, the Los Alamos Arts Council, and the Fuller Lodge Art Center.
Latitude: 35.8820614 Longitude: -106.3020372 Elevation: 7333 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here