Capitol City, originally called Galena City, was founded in 1876 by George Greene. Within a few months the town population soared to 200 residents and had over 100 cabins. The town’s name was officially changed to Capitol City, after nearby Capitol Mountain, when a post office was built in 1877. The town served as a commercial center for miners working the many nearby claims. Capitol City had a schoolhouse, several small miners’ cabins, and a cemetery. George Lee, who built a large smelter along Henson Creek in 1879, also built an extravagant two story brick mansion, a lavish hotel, a sawmill, and a brick factory. By the late 1890’s the town’s population withered to 50. The post office and its adjacent out building are the sole surviving properties of Capitol City. The post office was stabilized and restored in 1992 by the BLM and the Hinsdale County Historical Society.
Latitude: 38.0069841 Longitude: -107.4677467 Elevation: 9724 ft
Hours OpenDawn to Dusk
Time Period RepresentedLate 1800's
Seasons OpenSummer and Fall
Pet Friendly Notes
Pets allowed, please clean up after pets in the towsite of Capitol City